Mercateum – the largest accessible globe, Königsbrunn
The Mercateum is the the largest accessible globe, a monument to trade relations between India and the Augsburg region in Königsbrunn. Situated between the Königstherme spa and the local grammar school, the globe is made of a world map by the Spanish cosmographer Diego Ribero. To ensure that the spherical monument rests securely and permanently above the water surface, master roofers from the local firm Wildgrube & Sohn GmbH coated the asphalt and concrete water basin with the Triflex ProTect waterproofing system. This is a project where the 2-component waterproofing resin can prove its great processing qualities as well as its suitability for hydraulic structures. The ten-metre-high globe is enthroned on a platform in the middle of a water basin, a faithful projection of the world map drawn on parchment in 1529. Inside, exhibits on five levels provide insights into the beginnings and heyday of long-distance trade. Two footbridges lead visitors over the surrounding water basin into the steel skeleton building.
- Reliable waterproofing even with standing water
- Fully bonded
- Seamless and homogeneous liquid-applied waterproofing between elastic asphalt surface on the pool floor and the concrete walls
- Colour design of floor area and walls
Refurbishment steps overview
- Abrading concrete and asphalt
- Priming with Triflex Cryl Primer 276 for concrete Triflex Cryl Primer 222 for asphalt substrate
- Waterproofing with Triflex ProTect in the surface; construction joints, details and vertical walls with Triflex ProDetail
- Waterproofing with Triflex Cryl Finish 205 in 5080 Aqua and 7035 light grey colours
TRIFLEX PROTECT IS THE IDEAL MATERIAL FOR RELIABLY SEALING BUILDINGS IN STANDING WATER. THE FLEECE-REINFORCED LIQUID APPLIED WATERPROOFING ADHERES FULLY TO THE SUBSTRATE AND IS RESISTANT TO HYDROLYSIS.
Master Roofer Jürgen Wildgrube, Wildgrube & Sohn GmbH